Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Totalitarianism through Howe

I have to agree with a lot of what Howe and Orwell’s book are trying to say. While Orwell’s view on how totalitarianism in 1984 seems a little extreme and exaggerated, I personally feel that the political system would not succeed as it is. Howe begins as stating: The totalitarian society permits no such luxuries: it offers a total “solution” to the problems of the 20th century, that is, a total distortion of what could be the actual solution. This is a very good explanation in my opinion that I agree with. Howe also agrees with me that Orwell’s view is rather imaginative, but at the same time realistically imaginative. A ‘social solution’ can not entirely work. Everything is done mechanically and without emotion. This, in the novel, is a motive for the story, but also a message that another (and the most extreme) form of totalitarianism, Stalinism, is dangerous. I also agree with Howe that a reactionary society can take away the free will of the body, but not the mind, exactly. Orwell’s form of civilization in the ‘future’ is more a form of hell than utopia.

No comments:

Post a Comment